Thursday, March 7, 2013

Update!!

Wow! I forgot I started this blog! Want an update on what has happened since?

Well, the next Oireachtas in 2010, I recalled! I had qualified for nationals, before my set, and then my set dance dropped me down 13 spots.

The next year, we traveled to Orlando, Florida. And guess what... I qualified for worlds!!!! My set dance brought me up 13 spots this year and I got a 5th place from one judge!! This was my senior year of high school and the end for most dancers. I competed in the All-Ireland Championships in Dublin that February, the World Championships in Belfast that April, and the National Championship that July. That was honestly the most I could have possibly asked for. I was so blessed during that year.

It all came down to hard work and dedication to dancing. Since then, I have graduated high school and am now a freshman at Ohio University studying Public Relations in the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism.

I had decided to transfer dance schools again, so that I could continue dancing under a teacher, instead of practicing on my own. This turned out to be a disaster and I started to HATE dancing. The teachers were physically and mentally abusive, so I transferred back. Which was the best decision I could have made, because my dance school is where I belong.

I danced the Mid-America Oireachtas with them and I didn't even recall. This was mainly because since I am in college, I can't eat as healthy as I would like to, and I don't have a dance floor in my basement at my disposal. Plus, if I wanted to get to dance class I needed to drive 2 hours in each direction by myself. I just don't have the time anymore to be doing that.

I was one of fifteen students at my university to be accepted to a study abroad program in Italy this summer, so I will be leaving on May 4th (the day after school gets out) and then I will be traveling to South Africa to spend a week or two with my Aunt Kathy. So unfortunately, I will not be competing in Nationals this summer.

My next major competition will be the Southern Region Oireachtas, which is in my hometown of Washington, D.C. It is the weekend before finals though, which is gonna suck, but I really wanted to be home for Thanksgiving with my family and wasn't up for traveling to Grand Rapids, Michigan again. I'm not expecting much, but I am hoping that this Oireachtas will be better than last years. Then if I am in good enough shape, maybe I will send in my tape for Lord of the Dance or Riverdance!!

It has been quite a journey and it is not over yet! I can't wait to see what is in store for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment